Sunday 16 June 2013

Drugstore Edit: Starter Makeup Kit

Hey Guys!

On Friday afternoon following the end of my last ever maths exam (woop woop!) I went into town with a couple of friends to have lunch and do a bit of shopping. Whilst perusing the aisles of boots (dangerous territory for me, especially with their amazing buy one get one half price offer at the moment) my friend confided in me that she wanted to expand her makeup collection, and got me to help her pick out a few basic products that would provide her with a makeup bag full of all the 'essentials'. This got me thinking that I would like to do a post on what products I would put in a makeup starter kit just to give anyone who is just starting out with makeup, or would like an idea about the best drugstore products, what kind of things to get.  Also I apologise for the fact that I haven't taken these photos, but I don't currently have all these products available at the moment in my stash.

Base:



For foundation I would recommend either Rimmel Wake Me Up or Bourjois Healthy Mix Radiance Reveal Serum, depending on what kind of coverage you would like. Rimmel wake me up is more of a builable medium coverage while the Healthy Mix Serum is light to medium. 


The concealer I would recommend is (surprise, surprise!) Collection 2000 Lasting Perfection. It has a fairly high coverage for erasing those pesky blemishes but is also great for undereyes.

For Powder I would say Rimmel Stay Matte, it's super cheap at £3.99, but is by far the best drugstore powder I've tried! It keeps your face matte but doesn't look too cakey and is just a great product for prolonging the wear of your makeup.

Eyes:

The eyeshadow palettes I would recommend are either the Sleek I-divines or the MUA palettes, both come in at under £10 and have great quality, highly pigmented eyeshadows, I reach for mine on a daily basis, probably more than even my Urban Decay Naked Palette!

Everyone needs a good khol liner, and whether you are after brown, black or nude (to brighten the waterline) I would recommend the Rimmel Scandaleyes waterproof pencils. They have great staying power, are easy to apply and come in a good range of colours for a drugstore brand.
The only drugstore mascara that I have tried that I have liked as much as my high-end choices is Revlon Grow Luscious Plumping , it's clump-free, gives the perfect amount of volume and claims to make your eyelashes grow faster- bonus!




Cheeks:

For blush I would recommend Sleek, they have a great variety of colours and finishes which are all extremely pigmented and amazing quality for their price.

The bronzer that I would point you towards, which I feel is good for both contouring and adding some colour to the cheeks is the Bourjois Delice de Poudre- it's a natural colour and, on top of that, it smells like chocolate- what's not to love?

Lips:

For lip colour, my choice would be without a doubt the Revlon Balm Stains, they add moisture and a good dose of colour to the lips without being hard to apply. On top of this they last a long time without the need for reapplication- I only wish they came in more shades!

The Rimmel Apocalips are great glosses, super pigmented, not at all sticky and they come in a variety of colours from nudes up to true reds.

Penny
xox

0 comments:

Post a Comment